- 2 very finely chopped mild onions
- A splash of cider vinegar (no more than 2cl)
- 30g of Isigny PDO butter
- 8 black olives* each chopped up into six pieces
- 12 discs of sliced bread or bruschetta, 3cm in diameter
- 12 discs of Isigny Mimolette, 2mm thick and 3cm in diameter
- 12 discs of potato, 5mm thick and 3cm in diameter, lightly pre-cooked in salted water
In a pan, soften and lightly brown the onions with the butter. Deglaze with the cider vinegar and reduce until dry. Remove the pan from the heat and split the onion into two batches: one plain and the other mixed with black olive pieces.
Toast the sliced bread discs, spread each one with some of the browned onions, add a roundel of potato and top with a cheese disc.
Before serving, put your assembled toast discs in a hot (170˚C) oven for five minutes.
Garnish with a sprig of chervil or apple cut in matchsticks (julienne).
Chef’s suggestion: these toasts can be filled with finely diced andouille sausage (two thin slices should be enough).
*Pitted black olives are in fact green olives treated to turn black. Buy ripe black olives with their stones, eg Kalamata, and cut the ripe flesh from the stone. Olives that have ripened on the tree will have a softer, oilier flesh.